A new copy for the 19th century! This is also (1) a 50 Francs Type 1868 “Blue with black indices” note (Ref. Fayette-Dessal: # F.A38.09 or Pick: # 51a) which has just been listed by Numizon. The banknote is in VG grade with mainly a four fold marked on the back and a hole in the center. This copy is numbered "W.687-727" and is dated May 7, 1875. It becomes the 18th known copy for the year 1875 and the 68th banknote for the Type! (2)
Banknotes of the year 1875
Concerning the banknotes of the year 1875, this reference was issued between January 1 and December 31, ie 215 alphabets ranging from 589 to 803. The only months known for the moment are: January, April, May, July, August, September, October, November and December. The two signatures affixed to the banknote are those with The Principal Cashier, Mignot and The Secretary General, Marsaud.
Here is the Numizon inventory known to date for reference (# F.A38.09):
|F.A38.09||January 15, 1875||G.596||989||G|
|F.A38.09 (faux)||January 10, 1875||V.599||966||G|
|F.A38.09||January 22, 1875||U.602||809||VF+|
|F.A38.09||April 2, 1875||J.658||567||F+|
|F.A38.09||April 30, 1875||T.682||967||VF-|
|F.A38.09||May 7, 1875||W.687||727||F|
|F.A38.09||May 14, 1875||H.693||683||F+|
|F.A38.09||May 19, 1875||P.697||483||VF|
|F.A38.09||July 28, 1875||Z.712||065||F+|
|F.A38.09||August 13, 1875||E.724||929||VF|
|F.A38.09||September 17, 1875||D.740||354||F+|
|F.A38.09||September 21, 1875||P.743||209||F|
|F.A38.09||September 24, 1875||L.746||113||VF-|
|F.A38.09||September 30, 1875||U.751||086||VF|
|F.A38.09||October 28, 1875||H.771||771||F|
|F.A38.09||November 3, 1875||U.775||159||VF-|
|F.A38.09||November 27, 1875||Y.789||277||Poor|
|F.A38.09||December 4, 1875||H.795||641||XF-|
|F.A38.09||December 4, 1875||H.795||642||XF|
Analysis and fixes
While carrying out this news for the year 1875, we noted some errors in the "official" inventory:
- The banknote numbered V.599-966 is a counterfeit note, offered for € 1,000.00 at cgb.fr in 2018 (lot #4240012). Note that the date January 10, 1875 was not printed, but January 9 and 11 were.
- The banknote numbered T.682-967 is dated April 30, 1875 and not April 20, 1875. This note was sold for € 3,200.00 at cgb.fr in 2015 (lot #4030030).
- The banknote numbered H.693-683 is dated May 14, 1875 and not May 1, 1875. Photo found in one of the Vannier sales catalogs.
- The banknote numbered H.771-771 is dated October 28, 1875 and not October 20, 1875, the latter date not having been printed.
- We have added a copy at the end of our inventory. This is the banknote numbered H.795-642 in XF grade, offered at FRF 35,000 (€ 5,335.00) by the Auréus, Papier-Monnaie catalog N ° 1 from 1986-1987 (lot # 425). It is currently the most beautiful banknote known for the year 1875.
(1) Read our previous news of January 8, 2020 about this banknote: A new 50 Francs Type 1868 "Blue with black indices" and our article of December 14, 2020: 50 francs Type 1868 "Blue with black indices".
(2) The official inventory currently has 58 copies, but another specialist in 19th century banknotes, Mr. Christophe Perrot, has 68 copies for the 50 Francs Type 1868 “Blue with black indices”.
- Fayette editions website: inventory of rare banknotes for the Type.
- "La cote des billets", 2019 edition by MM. Claude Fayette and Jean-Marc Dessal (cf. pages 112-113).
- "Les billets de la Banque de France et du Trésor, 1800-2002", 2007 French edition by Mr. Claude Fayette (cf. pages 146-147).
- "19th century French banknotes" by Jean-Marc Dessal, article (only in French) published in the "Bulletin Numismatique # 191" of November 2019, cgb.fr (cf. pages 36 to 41).
- All our thanks to Christophe Perrot for his invaluable help in producing this news.
- A very big thank you to the collector (wishing to remain anonymous) for opening his binders to us so that you can enjoy the photos in illustration!
- Finally, thanks to Jacques Dutang (Kajacques Numismatique) for sending the photo of the copy numbered H.693-683.