70 years of shows!
Definitely, Numizon is making you travel this week! In the space of two days, we go from Afghanistan to ... The archipelago of the Cape Verde Islands! This island state is made up of ten islands located off the coast of Senegal in the Atlantic Ocean. The first "Cape Verdean" notes were issued from 1897 by the Banco Nacional Ultramarino, an issuing bank founded in 1864 in Lisbon and intended to accompany the Portuguese overseas territories including the Cape Verde Islands, a Portuguese colony since 1456. The bank opens a branch in Praia in 1865 ...
The country only gained independence in 1975. The Bank of Cape Verde (Banco de Cabo verde) was created on September 29, 1975. The first issue of the "BCV" was made in 1977. The issue currently current date of 2014. Find all these issues on the Bank's official website.
We have chosen to present to you all the banknotes issued from 1945 to 2014. The older banknotes from 1897 to 1941 will be included in the catalog in the near future. Discover without delay the 34 banknotes of this first part ... Have a nice trip!
The emission periods available in the catalog:
- Banco Nacional Ultramarino (1945)
- Banco Nacional Ultramarino (1958)
- Banco Nacional Ultramarino (1971-1972)
- Bank of Cape Verde (1977)
- Bank of Cape Verde (1989)
- Bank of Cape Verde (1992-2002)
- Bank of Cape Verde (1999-2007)
- Bank of Cape Verde (2014)
- "The Banknote Book: Cape Verde (Post-independance)" by Owen W. Linzmeyer.
- "Cape Verde" Standard Catalog of World Paper Money, 1368-1960, 12th édition (pages 200 to 201).
- "Cape Verde" Standard Catalog of World Paper Money, 1961-present, 17th édition (pages 209 to 212).
- Photos from cgb.fr sales archive.
- Photos from the Stack's Bowers sales archive.
- Photos from the Heritage Auctions sales archive.
- Reference site: “Banknote Museum”.
- Wikipedia: "History of Cape Verde".