We are delighted to present to you an extremely rare 100-franc note Type 1848 “Definitif” (Ref: Fayette-Dessal: # F.A24-01 or Pick: # 45a). The note is in VF grade, numbered "L2-940" and dated September 14, 1848. It is only the 7th copy known for the year 1848 and so there are now 18 copies referenced for the Type, if we sticks to the inventory of rare banknotes (1).
This note was created on September 14, 1848. The bill is printed in black monochrome on the front on a very delicate special paper. The back reproduces the front identically inverted. The graphic structure is taken from the 500 francs Type 1817 (2) but the format has been reduced (Dimensions: 180L x 110H mm). The note was designed by Charles Normand and engraved by André Galle. The date is printed in black in the center under the wording "BANQUE DE FRANCE". Two medallions in white and black to white contain Article 139 of the Penal Code. The letters “Banque de France” in calligraphy on the left heel are cut out with a lost edge. The note includes Three signatures with The Chief Cashier, The Controller and The General secretary : De Crousaz-Crétet / Doisy (or delegates) / Ville.
Note that the 100 francs Type 1848 "Définitif" is strictly identical to the 100-franc note Type 1848 "Définitif transposé" (Ref: Fayette-Dessal: # A25 or Pick: # 45b) with two notable differences: the letter of the alphabet is positioned before the number and the signatures are in black (3).
Further information :
- Reference: Fayette-Dessal: # F.A24.01 or Pick: # 45a.
- Number of alphabets: 99.
- Date of creation: September 14, 1848 to January 24, 1856.
- Theoretically issued notes: 2,475,000 copies.
- Quote in 2019: VG (€ 5,000), F (€ 7,000), VF (€ 12,000), XF (€ 18,000), AU (-).
- Quote in 2007: VG (€ 5,000), F (€ 7,000), VF (€ 10,000), XF (14,000), AU (-).
(1) Fayette Editions website: inventory of rare banknotes for the Type.
(2) “The 500-franc note Type 1817”, wikipedia.
(3) On the same subject, see our article dated 23 August 2019: the 100 francs Type 1848 “Définitif transposé”.
"La cote des billets", 2019 first edition by MM. Claude Fayette and Jean-Marc Dessal (cf. pages 95-96).
"Les billets de la Banque de France et du Trésor, 1800-2002", 2007 edition by M. Claude Fayette (cf. pages 110 to 113).