A woman on a Maghreb banknote!
Discover the new 10 dinars note issued by the Central Bank of Tunisia.
News by March 28, 2020- on
A historic banknote!
On March 26, 2020, The Central Bank of Tunisia (BCT) announced by press release, the circulation of a new 10 dinars type 2020 bank note from March 27, 2020.
First of all congratulations to the BCT (البنك المركزي التونسي) for its audacity because this new issue is undoubtedly the "revolution of spring 2020"! This unprecedented note can therefore be described as historic since it is the very first Maghreb banknote to celebrate a woman from civil society! Indeed, the sticker on the front features the effigy of the late Doctor Tawhida Ben Cheikh (توحيدة بن الشيخ), the first Tunisian to obtain her baccalaureate (1929) and the first Muslim woman in the Arab world to have worked as a doctor, pediatrician and then gynecologist. This banknote therefore comes at the right time to pay a double tribute to all the women of the world, as well as to the entire medical profession and to all the health professionals who are currently on the front line in the fight against the expansion of the Covid-19 worldwide.
Presentation of the note
The main technical characteristics of the new 10 dinars type 2020 banknote are those indicated in the press release issued by the BCT. Banknote dimensions: 148 mm x 73 mm. Dominant printing color: Blue.
Presentation of the front
1) Intaglio print: portrait of Doctor "Tawhida Ben Cheikh" (1909-2010); Above, the following text: "Central Bank of Tunisia" in Arabic and below the value of the note in full in Arabic; In the middle, to the left of the main portrait, the value of the banknote in figures "10" is shown in large format and at the bottom, the issue date "20-3-2020"; Below, on the lower right and left edges, two horizontal lines for the visually impaired are easily recognizable by touch; Below, on the right, the signatures of the Governor of the Bank, Marouane Abassi and the Vice-Governor, Nadia Gamha (first woman to hold the prestigious and delicate post of Vice-Governor of the Central Bank of Tunisia).
2) Offset printing:
- Floral patterns and arabesque elements appear in the background of the note in stylized form.
- The value of the note in figures "10" is shown in the upper right corner.
3) Post-printing varnishing: a layer of varnish protects the two sides of the bill against dirt and grease.
4) The serial and serial banknote number are seven digits long and appear at the bottom right and top left.
Presentation of the back
- Above, the following text in French: "Banque Centrale de Tunisie".
- In the center, a view of pottery objects and Berber jewelry.
- Floral patterns and arabesque elements are stylized on the background of the note.
- At the top right, the expression "10 Dinars" and at the top left, the number "10".
- Bottom left, the number "10" and the face value of the note in French.
1) On the front and in addition to the intaglio print:
- Watermark: located on the right of the bill, it represents the portrait of "Tawhida Ben Cheikh" and below on the right, the number "10" and which clearly appear when looking at the banknote through the light.
- Security thread with windows "RAPID®": three-dimensional wire 4.5 mm wide, placed to the right of the portrait of "Tawhida Ben Cheikh" parallel to the width of the note, appears discontinuously. Seen through light, this thread is perceptible continuously. When the banknote is tilted up and down, an optical effect occurs with the appearance of the number "10" and a dynamic movement of two bars moving in two opposite directions on a three-dimensional background.
- "SparkLive" element: A circle located in the upper left corner containing the number "10" in the middle and whose color changes from green to blue depending on the angle of view. This element has a spinning effect showing, depending on the angle of view, one or two rings moving around a central axis on a three-dimensional background.
- Micro-letters: printing in micro-letters of the text "DIX DINARS" below the main portrait and in various places on the left and right edges of the note.
2) On the back
- Iridescent coating: a reflective strip, gold in color, placed on the right side of the note and containing, in the vertical direction, a series of the number "10". This strip is particularly visible from certain angles and according to the bank angle.
- Micro-letters: printing in micro-letters of the following texts: the expression "DIX DINARS" in various places of the note; the text "POTTERY AND BERBER JEWELRY" written at the bottom of the rose in stylized form; the expression "Central Bank of Tunisia" at the top and bottom of the jewelry image.
Front and back
- Small circles scattered on both sides of the note, outside the watermark area, constituting a color anti-photocopier device; other elements appear on both sides of the note constituting an anti-scanner device.
- A transvision element: The elements and colors of the arabesque pattern located in the watermark area at the top on the front and back complement each other by looking at the banknote through the light.
Banknote reaction to ultraviolet rays
- Appearance, on both sides of the note, of fluorescent fibers of red, blue, green and yellow colors.
- Appearance on the front, top left, of a fluorescent geometric shape, green in color, containing the number "10" and above, this number appears in green; bottom left, a fluorescent floral pattern appears in green with the number "10" in red.
- The serial and serial banknote number, located at the top left, changes to a fluorescent green color.
The ten dinar Type 2020 banknote will circulate concurrently with the other banknotes and coins currently in circulation.
Source: Central Bank of Tunisia. Tunis, March 26, 2020.